PS 8th Study Guide Chapter 7
Fill in the Blank and Mutltiple Choice Twiz on Ch 7 Vocab from book and lab our experiments
Here are some extra review topics as well...
- Describe the different types of solutions, suspension and what happens if you let them sit.
- Be able to describe what ions, and acid and a base produce.
- How can you tell a weak acid/base from a dilute acid and base?
- Tell me if HCl is an this compound is and acid or a base.
- What happens when acid rain falls in a lake? What happens to the lake's pH?
- How does heat a effect a solution dissolving?
- Can a solution change boiling and freezing points?
- What is the pH of different parts of the human body?Ex--> HCl in our stomach
- Why is anti-acid medicine useful?
Introduction Activity pH Scale Research Webquest
Step 1: The pH Scale & Meter Calibration
Number your theme from 1-18. Write Answers only
- What will you learn today?
- What is range of pH Scale?
- What are the lower numbers?
- What are the higher numbers?
- What are the six substances listed?
- What is another name for base?
- What were the four substances listed?
- What is indicator paper?
- How do you use it?
- What color did the lemon change?
- Is lemon juice an acid or a base?
- What color did the milk of magnesia change?
- Is it an acid or a base?
- Why do you use it when you have an upset stomach?
- pH of Lemon?
- pH of Coffee?
- pH of Water?
- pH of milk of magnesia?
The pH Scale & Meter Calibration
Complete the introduction and answer these questions.Number your theme from 19-23. Write Answers only19. What is c.bot?
20. How do food scientists prevent botulism?
21. What substance are helpful to prevent C.bot in salsa?
22. What is a pH Meter?
23. What is a buffer used for?
Step 3 Use your notes from 7-4 to explain how you neutralize an acid.
24. What happens when you add an acid to a base?
25. What is the pH of neutral substance?
Step 4: Go to: http://www.chem4kids.com/files/react_acidbase.html to answer the following questions on paper.
• Define “acid” _
• Define “base” _
• Define “pH”
Step 5 . Using a search engine please list at least six properties of acids and six properties of bases:
Properties of Acids: Properties of Bases:
Venn Diagram Works Best
Step 6. List 3 strong acids and (not household), their pH values, and their uses:
List 3 strong bases (not household), their pH values, and their uses:
Step 7 If there is still time, then go to: http://www.quia.com/rd/1975.html to play game
that will test your knowledge of the pH scale.
• How many did you get right out of 14? _
• If any, which items did you miss?
Step 8. Click there to take a pH Scale quiz: http://www.softschools.com/quizzes/chemistry/acid_base/quiz370.html
How to Make a Red Cabbage Indicator: http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa012803a.htm
Acid and Bases in your body: http://www.webmd.com/
Research how stomach acid is released during times of chronic stress.
How this is related to chronic stomach complaints.
Find out how anticids work.
pH Scale Lab Conclusions go with pg 177's activity
- What product is the most acidic?
- What product is the most basic?
- How many solutions were acids?
- How many solutions were bases?
- How many solutions were neutral?
- Draw your own pH Scale and Identify what the mystery solutions were.
Final Chapter Assessment: Presentation Acid Rain Solutions